If you want to play Fallout 3 in Windows 10, it will not work without problems. Windows 10 requires the Windows Live files for this. We’ll show you how to get Fallout 3 up and running on Windows 10.
Fallout 3 in Windows 10 does not work
When you start Fallout 3 Game of the Year Edition in Windows 10, the launcher opens, but nothing happens. Fallout 3 needs the files for Games for Windows Live (GFWL). Windows 10 does not have these on board. As a first stop, you should do the following.
If Fallout 3 does not work in Windows 10, you can fix it like this:
- Update your video card drivers. By default, Windows 10 does not necessarily install the best and the best.
- Install Games for Windows Live.
- Restarts Windows 10.
- Now test if Fallout 3 works.
- If you should use 2 monitors in Windows 10, you can try to disable the second one (shortcut: Windows + P ). Alternatively, you can set the same resolution on both monitors.
- Also, you can then do common compatibility settings: Run programs in compatibility mode. Then select Windows XP Service Pack 3 for the Fallout EXE file . You can find the fallout file in the installation directory. By default this is:
- Steam version: C: \ Program Files (x86) \ Steam \ Steamapps \ Common \ Fallout 3
- CD version: C: \ Program Files (x86) \ Bethesda Softworks \ Fallout 3
Fallout 3 in Windows 10: Games for Windows Live is causing problems
If Games for Windows Live causes problems in Windows 10, you can try to disable Fallout 3 from the software and disable it:
- Download the Games for Windows Live Disabler.
- Extract the ZIP file and start the tool.
- Click on the Disable G4WL button and close the tool.
- If you have old savegames, you can restore them by moving them from:
C: \ Users \ USERNAME \ My Documents \ My Games \ Fallout \ GFWL-NAME \ Saves to
C: \ Users \ USERNCLE \ My Documents \ My Games \ fallout \ Saves
Windows 10: Getting Fallout 3 to work as a CD version (not Steam)
If you still have the older CD version of Fallout 3, so do not play on Steam, you should also do the following:
- Install the official patch on Fallout 3 Version 1.7.
- Installs the latest version of Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 .
Fallout 3 crashes on intro videos (baby screams)
When Fallout 3 crashes in the intro videos, where the baby screams, it’s like this:
- Navigate to the folder: C: \ Users \ USERNAME \ My Documents \ My Games \ Fallout
- Open the Fallout.ini file, such as Notepad ++ or the Windows editor. Hint
: Do not edit the file Fallout_default.ini, because then you are in the wrong directory.
- Press the key combination Ctrl + F and search for the text section: bUseThreadedAI = 0
- Change the 0 to a 1.
- Add the following after the line: iNumHWThreads = 2
- Saves the file with Ctrl + S .
Fallout 3: Unofficial patch fixes many bugs and bugs
We also encourage you to install the following unofficial Fallout 3 patch if you have crashes and errors in the game. He fixes many of these causes. You can download it from Nexusmods. Join for free if necessary.
Fallout 3: Notes on memory levels
Autosave can corrupt the scores and render them useless. You should disable them in the game to avoid crashes and crashes. As you play, you press the Escape key to deactivate the 3 Autosave options in the gameplay settings.
Important: You should also always save to a new save slot to be on the safe side.